How I Designed the New Logo for DisableMyCable.com

This is a bit of a departure from the other articles on this site.  I don’t claim to be a real “designer” – I’m much more a developer.  But, I had so much fun designing a new logo for my blog, DisableMyCable.com, and I wanted to share my thought process and experience with you. (I hope you’ll indulge me).

DisableMyCable.com is a website I started to help people find free and cheap alternatives to cable TV.  The primary way is to use an antenna to get free broadcast TV.

The Original Logo

When this blog achieved some significant popularity, I felt it was time to get a real, professionally-designed logo for it.  The original logo was one that I simply made in Microsoft Word:

Old DisableMyCable logo

For the longest time, I had it on my “to do” list hire a designer to create a new logo.  I did eventually make a spec for it, but I never did find a designer.  So, I figured I’d give it a try myself.

My first sketch was this rather ambitious retro-inspired design:

Steampunk DisableMyCable logo

In retrospect this was too complicated and busy.  I realized that, and gave up for a few months.

The New Logo

Then one day, I started playing with Google Fonts (a great source of free fonts, by thte way) and found one called “Audiowide”.  I typed in “DisableMyCable” and got this look:

Audiowide font

I kinda liked it.  It was more futuristic than my existing logo.  And, the letters themselves kinda looked like they were made of bent pieces of cable! (Do you see it?)

I then experimented with colors.  I ended up with three-color design: orange, lime and bright blue, which was an homage to the colors used on a TV screen: red, green, and blue, in the same order:

Audiowide color

The colors also alluded to the “modular” nature of connecting different blocks together to make something that my site was about. The colors are reminiscent of the colors of children’s blocks.  I liked the sense of simplicity and ease-of-use that conveyed.

But, the words were undeniably difficult to read, even when they were different colors.  I solved that problem by filling in some of the gaps in the letters.  That made it much more readable.

This was good, but I also wanted some graphical indication of what the site was about.  The bottom of the “y” in “my” spoke to me, and that became a coax cable pointing back at the user.  The rest of the “y” became a flat antenna receiving a signal from the sky.  Thus my logo was born!

DisableMyCable logo final

I’m very happy with how it turned out. I’m not saying that you should always design your own logo.  In fact, for a “real” business, you should probably hire a professional. But why not have a little fun first and give it a try?  At the very least, it can be a starting point when you do hire a professional designer.

For my own blog, this logo is fine. I definitely think it’s a lot more modern and eye-catching than the old one, and I saved a chunk of change! – Brian

2 thoughts on “How I Designed the New Logo for DisableMyCable.com

  1. Speaking of google fonts… I would like to remind other web designers that not all Google fonts are available ( or at least not for free) for non-web use. When you are looking for a web font for a client’s site, you want to pick one that is ALSO available to put on your computer and use in apps like MS Word and Photoshop. If it isn’t, they will have a hard time maintaining consistency of their brand across different media- web site, letterhead, business card, flyers, etc. The google font site does not indicate which fonts these may be, as it concerns itself only with the use of web fonts. You will need to cross-reference your favorites with a regular font source, such as Font Squirrel, and many others.

Leave a Comment or Ask a Question